Keypress Input

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 21:22:14 EDT 2015

On 06/16/2015 02:49 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2015-06-16, John McKenzie <davros at bellaliant.net> wrote:
>
>> It never occurred to me something so simple as keystrokes would not
>> be present in Python, a language rated as being terrific by everyone
>> I know who knows it.
>
> Ah, but in reality "keystrokes" is not simple at all.  Keyboards and
> input handling is a very messy, complicated area.

If you do choose to go with the GPIO route, unless your code for
accessing the GPIO lines does debouncing, you will have to debounce the
key.  There are lots of examples out there (most in C on the arduino,
but still applicable). Most of them check for a button press, then do a
timer count-down to let things settle out before recording a button
press.  So it's still complicated even if you talk directly to the
buttons!  No way around some complexity though.