Keypress Input

John McKenzie davros at bellaliant.net
Tue Jun 16 16:06:58 EDT 2015

 That was the impression I got reading some comments people made online
and doing research, so I focused on tkinter. As I mentioned in the 4th
sentence of the post you quoted I discovered that was not the case, but
by then I had already done some work on the tkinter script so I kept with
it.

 Before I actually tried any of this and was just thinking of it
conceptually I bought the Kade device. It was my hope that it would save
on soldering, something I hate so very, very much, and I had not started
learning Python at that point. It never occurred to me something so
simple as keystrokes would not be present in Python, a language rated as
being terrific by everyone I know who knows it.

 Out of great ignorance I thought I could hook up the Kade device and do
something like if keypress == r then do this. Also out of ignorance I
thought that using the GPIO would require days of soldering and
incredibly complicated coding to talk to the pins.

 Only since I got much more deep into actually doing this did I start to
find out otherwise. Spent the last few days looking at breakout boards to
see if they would make the wiring easier to test out. When I saw one that
had built in electrical protection (RaspIO Pro) I thought about getting
it and going the route you suggest. However, I cannot find any option
that does not require a breadboard. The lack of compactness and all the
exposed wires does bother me a bit. More than it should, but I need a
compact setup I can place outdoors. Breadboards and loose wires worry me
in this case.

 Still, I must admit I spent the last 3 or 4 days thinking about exactly
what you said and I may do it that way after all just to get it to work
software wise.

 And BTW, I am not using any GPIO for the lights, the LED light strip is
hooked up to a Blinkstick Pro through a USB port.