OT ish Blocking telemarketers

alister alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 13 15:12:28 EDT 2015

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 08:53:35 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On 06/13/2015 08:42 AM, alister wrote:

>>> I'm sure you could install and use the Asterisk PBX software, and I
>>> bet people have made scripts for it to block calls in this way.
>>> You'll need to take your question to the asterisk mailing list though.
>>
>> & you will still be wasting your time.
>> the scumbags change numbers regularly & will also withhold it
>>
>> it is like fighting the hydra, for every 1 you block 2 more appear
>
> Sure but with a proper PBX, you can stop almost all telemarketers right
> at the door with a touch-tone menu.  They don't have the time (money) to
> wait if you don't answer right away.

I have considered that approach on many occasions but it would make life
difficult for genuine callers.

Now I just play with them to waste there time
you would not believe how many are stupid enough to bite when you say "I
don't deal with disreputable companies" :-)

the current record is 15 minutes for one wally who spent 15 minutes
listening to silence while i left the phone off the hook in another room
( & i had even told him that was what i was about to do)

that was 15 minutes he was not bothering someone else.

--
<Palisade> how are we going to pronounce '00 or '01 or '02 and so on?
<Deek> Say goodbye to the nineties, say hello to the naughties. :)