How may I Integrate Python Code with REST

subhabrata.banerji at gmail.com subhabrata.banerji at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 03:23:43 EDT 2015

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 2:17:43 AM UTC+5:30, Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:52:19 -0700,  w
> rites:
> >Dear Group,
> >
> >I wrote a Python code. In the code there are two modules where we may insert data from outside. They are updating some training module and updating index. As a standalone code this is working fine.
> >
> >I need to port this code to REST. I tried to learn Flask. My Practice for Flask is okay. I can put,get,delete.
> >
> >But how may I proceed I am not getting much idea. I bit new in REST.
> >If any one of the esteemed members may kindly provide an idea how may I proceed?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Subhabrata Banerjee.
>
> All you need now is post.  So it looks as if you have  all the bits you
> need, but you don't know how to use them to design an API.
>
> See if this helps.
> http://blog.miguelgrinberg.com/post/designing-a-restful-api-with-python-and-flask
>
> If not, you are probably at the stage of posting code here.
> Here is my code that doesn't work.
> Here is what happens when I run it.
> This is what I wish it would do instead.
>
> Right now we don't understand what it is that you don't understand, alas.
> Code makes the problem obvious.
>
> Laura

Hi,

Thank you for your post. Yes I can PUT the data in JSON format but how to interact with the code I am thinking on that. My script snippet of Flask is as
follows,
>>> x3=requests.put('http://127.0.0.1:5000/todos/todo1', data={'task': 'We are trying to build API. API seems okay.'})
>>> x4=requests.get('http://127.0.0.1:5000/todos')
>>> x5=x4.text
>>> print x5
{
    "todo1": {
        "task": "We are trying to build API. API seems okay."
    },
    "todo2": {
        "task": "Change my brakepads"
    },
    "todo3": {
        "task": "Life is okay"
    }
}

Now, as I understand it I have to work out something around this PUT.
As per my guess,
1. I should work around this put if takes data from file.
2. The data I would get thus, I have to convert this JSON data (by import json or so), into text or the format my main code understands as input.

Am I thinking fine. If not please suggest.

There is an interesting error occurs almost every other day port 5000
in
requests.get('http://127.0.0.1:5000/todos') gives error everyother day.
I have stopped firewall, consulted senior administrators of system group but no error seems there. It works suddenly and does not work suddenly,
if you suggest how to fix this issue.

I am using Python2.7+ on MS-Windows 7 Professional. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials as AntiVirus.

Regards,
Subhabrata Banerjee.