OT ish Blocking telemarketers

sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 20:37:32 EDT 2015

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 5:03:25 PM UTC-7, Seymore4Head wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:57:53 -0700 (PDT), sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 3:23:32 PM UTC-7, Seymore4Head wrote:
> >> Is there a program what runs on Windows that uses a national blacklist
> >> to block phone calls?
> >
> >Are you talking about a Windows Phone?  Windows for a PC doesn't make phone calls unless that's a new feature that I don't know about.
>
> I guess I should have said...........A program that runs on Windows
> that uses a modem and a national blacklist to block phone calls.

On a home telephone, you can't block phone calls "client-side" so-to-speak.  At best, you can have a phone that can choose not to ring based on the number calling, but in my experience, most telemarketers block their caller ID from showing up so that wouldn't work anyways.  Also, any OTHER phones connected to the same line would still ring unless one of phones "answered" the call and then hung up, which is something a modem could do.

Are you in the USA?  Have you checked out the Do Not Call registry? https://www.donotcall.gov/