Testing random

sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 18:55:08 EDT 2015

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 3:12:26 PM UTC-7, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Ian Kelly wrote:
>
> > [...] Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn [...] wrote:
> >> There is a contradiction in that statement.  Can you find it?
> >
> > Yes. I phrased my statement as if I were addressing a rational
> > individual, in clear contradiction of the current evidence.
> >
> > Seriously, if you reject even the statement I made above, in spite of
> > all the arguments that have been advanced in this thread, in spite of
> > the fact that this is very easy to demonstrate empirically, then I
> > don't think there's any fertile ground for discussion here.
>
> /Ad hominem/ when out of arguments.  How typical.
>
> Do you deny that "123456789" *is* "a sequence containing all nine numbers"
> (digits, really), and that "111111111" *is* "a sequence containing only 1s"?
>
> Do you deny that therefore your second sentence contradicts the first one?
>
> --
> PointedEars
>
> Twitter: @PointedEars2
> Please do not cc me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.

I'm struggling to see the contradiction here.

Yes, 123456789 is a sequence containing all nine numbers.  And as someone else said, 123456798 is also a sequence containing all numbers.  987654321 contains all numbers.  There are 9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1 (Usually expressed as "9!", and equal to 362,880) distinct ways to order nine numbers.

However, there is only ONE way to order a series of all 1s.

There's no contradiction here.