enhancement request: make py3 read/write py2 pickle format

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jun 10 19:25:33 EDT 2015

On 6/10/2015 6:10 PM, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:

> The problem is that there are two different ways repr might write out
> a dict equal to {'a': 1, 'b': 2}. This can make tests brittle

Not if one compares objects rather than string representations of
objects.  I am strongly of the view that code and tests should be
written to directly compare objects as much as possible.

> it's why doctest fails badly at examples involving dictionaries.

or sets or addresses or object ids or locale-dependent strings or random
numbers or values dependent on random numbers.

--
Terry Jan Reedy