enhancement request: make py3 read/write py2 pickle format

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 00:00:55 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 1:57 PM,  <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015, at 23:52, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> > For human readable serialized data, text format protocol buffers are
>> > seriously underrated. (Relatedly: underdocumented, too.)
>>
>> Ironically, literal_eval is designed to process text-format protocols
>> using
>> human-readable Python syntax for common data types like int, str, and
>> dict.
>
> "protocol buffers" is the name of a specific tool.

Yes, it is. But the point is that literal_eval, JSON, and other such
tools are _also_ text-format protocols that serialize to/from human
readable data. I'm not sure what the advantage of protocol buffers is,
but it's not like "human readable" is such a rarity. (It is still a
strike against pickle.)

ChrisA