enhancement request: make py3 read/write py2 pickle format

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:47:53 EDT 2015

Passing around data that can be put into ast.literal_eval is
synonymous with passing around data taht can be put into eval. It
sounds like a trap.

Other points against JSON / etc.: the lack of schema makes it easier
to stuff anything in there (not as easily as pickle, mind), and by
returning a plain dict, it becomes easier to require a field than to
allow a field to be missing, which is bad for robustness and bad for
data format migrations. (Protobuf (v3) has schemas and gives every
field a default value.)

For human readable serialized data, text format protocol buffers are
seriously underrated. (Relatedly: underdocumented, too.)

/me lifts head out of kool-aid and gasps for air

-- Devin