Testing random

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 21:42:49 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:34 AM,  <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:
> In general, as the number of trials increases, the probability of having
> e.g. at least one of each value never _reaches_ 1, but it gets
> arbitrarily close.

And by "arbitrarily close", you mean any of:

* So close to 1.0 that IEEE double precision is unable to represent it
* So unlikely that you could perform one trial every nanosecond until
the heat death of the universe and still not expect to see it
* Less likely than that two files could accidentally collide on MD5,
SHA1, SHA256, and file size, simultaneously

I think all of the above are true of this case, though I have to guess
about the heat death of the universe.

ChrisA