Can Python function return multiple data?

Dave Farrance df at see.replyto.invalid
Sat Jun 6 02:52:21 EDT 2015

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 10:20:49 AM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Jun 2015 01:20 pm, Rustom Mody wrote:
>> > As a parallel here is Dijkstra making fun of AI-ers use of the word
>> > 'intelligent'
>> >  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD06xx/EWD618.html
>>
>> Nice rant, but as is typical of so many rants by Dijkstra, it's overflowing
>> with smugness at his own cleverness, and very light on actual reasoning or
>> sense.
>
>The cleverness and smugness has made you miss the point:
>Post-computers 'intelligent' has a new meaning on account of abuse of langauge

Hmm.  I've just read that and I have to say that I've no idea what point
the author was trying to make -- presumably because I'm not intelligent
enough.  I get that he's doing his best to make "Artificial
Intelligentsia" a pejorative term for some reason, but exactly what he's
got against this (imagined?) community or exactly what he imagines their
sin to be is hard to figure out.  I'll note that my own observation of
the common usage of the term "intelligent" in the mentioned context is
that you might indeed describe a terminal an "intelligent terminal" if
it has processor functions, but if you were to describe it as a
"terminal with artificial intelligence", then that would imply a whole
lot more -- which is indeed a language oddity, but that seems to be the
way it is now.