Can Python function return multiple data?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 01:28:47 EDT 2015

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 8:58:13 AM UTC+5:30, rand... at fastmail.us wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2015, at 23:20, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > The word immutuable happens to have existed in English before python.
> > I also happen to have used it before I knew of python
> > The two meanings do not match
> > I am surprised
> > Is that surprising?
>
> They don't match only if you consider the objects a tuple references to
> be part of the tuple.
>
> You cannot change the reference. It will always point to the same list.

You just repeated what Chris said, replacing 'immutable' with 'same'
There was a list: [1,2,3]
At some point that list is found to be(come) [1,2,3,4]
They dont look same to me.

IOW if immutable₂ is to have cognitive resonance with immutable₁ it needs to be
'deep-immutable' in analogy to deep-copy.

Anyways... All this is rather far from my original point
Python may or may not have genuine immutables and we may call skin-immutable
as 'immutable'
We have muddled along thusly for the last 60 years and its called
'imperative programming'.

My point is that without a common conceptual basis there is neither
communication nor understanding.
That common base is usually called math/logic:
Your '1/2/3' matches mine
Your 'and/or/not' matches mine
They are immutable₁ therefore we can think and communicate with them

With [1,2,3] ([1,2],[1,2]) that is not the case
I regard that as unfortunate
[You are of course free to regard that as ok]