Find in ipython3

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Fri Jun 5 03:17:31 EDT 2015

Op Thursday 4 Jun 2015 22:13 CEST schreef random:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015, at 12:13, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> I am thinking about using ipython3 instead of bash. When I want to
>> find a file I can do the following:
>> !find ~ -iname '*python*.pdf'
>> but is there a python way?
>
> Python really isn't a good substitute for a shell, but the normal
> python way to do this task is:
>
> import os, os.path, fnmatch
>
> home = os.path.expanduser('~')  # only needed since you used ~
> for dirpath, dirnames, filenames in os.walk(home):
> print(dirpath)
> for filename in filenames:
> if(fnmatch.fnmatch(filename.lower(), '*python*.pdf')):
> print(os.path.join(dirpath, filename))

I was already thinking along those lines. I made it:
    def find(directory, to_match):
        to_match = to_match.lower()
        results = []
        for dirpath, dirnames, filenames in os.walk(expanduser(directory)):
            for filename in filenames:
                if(fnmatch(filename.lower(), to_match)):
                    results.append(os.path.join(dirpath, filename))
        return results

> Note that if you have filenames with invalid unicode characters (or
> any non-ASCII characters at all on Windows) you may have to do
> additional processing to the filename before printing it. And of
> course instead of printing it you may want to store the filenames in
> a list for further processing. But these are the basic building
> blocks.

I have to look into it further. For one thing default the match should
be case dependent and an option used to make it independent.

> I don't use ipython, so I don't know what it provides if anything to
> make any of this easier.

I think it is useful to have it in Python also, so I should not use
ipython specific things.

In ‘~/.ipython/profile_default/startup/00-init.ipy’ I have:
    from utilDecebal import find

and now ‘find('~', '*Python*.pdf')’ gives what I want.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer