Everything is an object in python - object class and type class

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Thu Jun 4 09:39:00 EDT 2015

In a message of Thu, 04 Jun 2015 13:01:00 +0100, BartC writes:
>On 04/06/2015 11:06, Laura Creighton wrote:
>> In a message of Thu, 04 Jun 2015 00:04:04 +0100, BartC writes:
>>> Mainly the language itself. But I've also been looking at the workings
>>> of CPython. (Also PyPy but obviously I'm not going to get anywhere
>>> there, although RPython sounds intriguing.)
>>
>> Why not?  We built the thing for people like you who want to design
>> their own language.
>
>(I thought you wrote bookkeeping systems?)

Yes, but I have to do something for fun, now, too don't I?  There is only
so much fun you can get out of a bookkeeping system.

>> This makes me sad.  What are we doing wrong
>> that you think you won't get anywhere there?

snip

>To make use of PyPy, I understand that I have to code my interpreter in
>RPython, with various hints, and it is the execution paths in this code
>that are somehow optimised at runtime.
>
>However, I've seen at the video someone posted of the keynote talk about
>PyPy (https://youtu.be/l_HBRhcgeuQ), and it does look a rather
>intimidating process (apparently taking several hours to compile the
>smallest code tweak; currently it takes me about 1 second to try
>something new).

We have a way to run the tests without compiling the whole thing every
time.  Not quite the same, but not quite as horrible as you might imagine.
And, happy news, Armin has had a new idea.
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/pypy-dev/2015-February/013085.html
When this goes in, warmup times will get much faster, which will mean
that everyting goes a lot faster.  (We think.  In theory.  We will
see.)

>Also, I'm using Windows where even ordinary Python development doesn't
>really work; I had to use Ubuntu (a completely alien environment to me)
>to attempt compiling Cpython).

PyPy development on Windows has gotten a whole lot better since that
keynote -- what it took was getting some PyPy developers who use
windows.  But they are still in short supply.  And yes, it is probably
still easier for linux people.

But if one of your goals is better performance, well, python-list
isn't the place to find the people who spend most of their lives
thinking about such things.  Whereas pypy-dev is one such place.

>--
>Bartc
>--

At any rate, if there is any interest you can come visit the irc channel
on freenode, or send mail to pypy-dev, which isn't gatewayed to usenet