build a deb-package

c.buhtz at posteo.jp c.buhtz at posteo.jp
Wed Jun 3 21:08:51 EDT 2015

I am not sure where I am or where to go. ;)
So before asking about technical details I first want to know if it is
generally possible.

On Ubuntu when I install python-based applications (from a repository)
as deb-packages I can start them by just typing its name because the
py-file or a link to it are installed in bin-directory that is in the
$PATH.

I read a lot of wikis/howtows and couldn't get this done with my own
(simple hello world) application working with Python3.

E.g. I used setup.py bdist_rpm and alien to create a deb. But the
py-file is in dist-package and not in a bin-directory.

So is it possible to create a deb-file with a Python3-based application
in it that can be started over the $PATH variable?