Religion [was Re: Everything is an object in python - object class and type class]

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 02:17:35 EDT 2015

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 11:34:34 AM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 June 2015 15:01, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > eg Would it make sense to you if you were told that there are widespread
> > religions like Buddhism that are agnostic or Jainism that are strictly
> > atheistic?
>
> No of course it wouldn't make sense. But nothing to do with religion,
> spirituality and superstition makes sense, the whole point of them is that
> they speak to the emotions, not logic.

Emotions dont make sense?
In what sense of 'sense'?
If understanding rather than pronouncing is your intention this may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triune_brain
[You may remember a recent poster with the moniker 'PointedEars' in his name
making wild emotional outbursts.  So much for 20th century movie-mythology]

(You note that I am carefully not
> commenting on whether this is a good thing or not.)
>
> Draw up two sets of overlapping axes, and label the vertical axes
> "Agnosticism / Gnosticism" and the horizontal axes "Supernatural / Natural".
> Belief systems can be found in all four quadrants. Agnostic religions are
> easy, they're just in the Supernatural+Agnostic quadrant. If you define
> religion to be merely any belief system, then even an atheist religion is
> understandable: it could be anything on the Natural half of the graph.
>
> Personally, I consider that redefining religion to refer to belief systems
> which do not include supernatural divine gods is an abuse of language
> (except informally, as in "football is my religion" or "the religious war
> between Vi and Emacs users"). it's like the food processor that is
> advertised as being a "three speed food-processor" because there are three
> settings on the control: High, Low and OFF.

I am reminded of the TinTin(?) comic:
Telescope informs about a giant alien coming to invade from outer space.
Further examination of telescope shows 'alien' to be a bug (not the software variety)
in the telescope.