Language design

TheDoctor dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 17:45:57 EDT 2015

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 6:40:22 PM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:30:54 -0700, Mark Janssen wrote:
>
> > 1) It tried to make Object the parent of every class.
>
> Tried, and succeeded.

Oh?  How about:

class superdict(dict):
    """I'm going to extend the dict type to include extra methods."""

class mixin():
   """Here we go."""

What is the parent of mixin?

> > No one's close enough to God to make that work.
>
> Non-sequitor. One doesn't need to be close to a deity to have a single
> root of the object hierarchy.

Loud voice:  Boom!

> > 4?) It allowed
> > [reference] variables to be used as dict keys.  This creates a parsing
> > difficulty for me, mentally.  Keys should be direct, hashable values,
> > not hidden in a variable name.
>
> I don't even understand what you are talking about here. "[reference]
> variables"? What does that mean?

Nevermind.  I was wrong on this one.  My mental lexer threw an error on this one whenever ppl used a variable as a key.

Cheer!

Mark