Zero [was Re: What is considered an "advanced" topic in Python?]

Dave Farrance df at see.replyto.invalid
Mon Jun 1 10:39:45 EDT 2015

Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:

>P.S., Dave, your "omitthis" and "andthis" kind of sucks for the rest of us.
>And I just invalidated your attempts at
>obscurity by replying to your correct email address. I suggest you just
>omit that stuff going forward. Unfortunately,
>I now I have a crap address in my Gmail contacts I have to hunt down and
>remove. Maybe you should just install
>a decent spam filter <http://www.spambayes.org/> or switch to Gmail, which
>has a functioning spam filter (unlike Yahoo...)

I've had that as my Usenet address since 2000 when Usenet was the prime
spam harvesting source and the spammers were actively using
anti-address-munging techniques.  That's no longer so much of a problem,
given Usenet's obscurity for today's average Internet user, but I'm
still wary of posting email addresses directly to Usenet.  I've changed
the "from" address to end with ".invalid" which is the RFC way, and
should be stopped at the Email client, if that helps.

Since this is "comp.lang.python", I'm assuming that it should be treated
primarily as a Usenet group in which you'd normally reply to the group
-- rather than by personal email as you might do if this was primarily a
Listserv group.  I dunno what the group thinks about that.  A quick
header check tells me that the posters here are split about 50/50
between posting via Usenet or the list server.