Using Python instead of Bash

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 03:56:36 EDT 2015

On 05/31/2015 05:42 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> I help someone that has problems reading. For this I take photo's of
> text, use convert from ImageMagick to make a good contrast (original
> paper is grey) and use lpr to print it a little bigger.

I''m wondering why you bother to take a photo, which then has to be adjusted for quality.  A
screen-capture program is much easier and immediately gives you a perfect(?) starting image.

Linux Mint that I use has the program 'gnome-screenshot' (in the main menu under Accessories as
'Screenshot').  It gives you the options to capture the whole screen, the current active window,
or any arbitrary rectangular area of the screen.  It saves it as a .png and allows you to
specify the path/filename to save it.  I'm sure there are many other equivalent programs
available as well, and this one or others are likely available by default in other Linux
distros.  Or easily installed if not.

Of course, this just gives you the original 'raw' image that you can then process further as
necessary.  But this is _FAR_ easier and better quality than the round-about method of using a
camera.

      -=- Larry -=-