New module (written in C) for using the high-precision QD library

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 03:37:20 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Your C code seems to be only about 1500 lines, not too late to translate
> it. That should save you a couple of hundred lines and at the same time
> make it work with Python 3 (which it currently doesn't, from what I see).

I was just looking over the README (literally two minutes ago, your
message came in as I was wording up a reply), and Python 3 support
does seem to be a bit of a hole in the support.

To what extent does Cython make this easier? The biggest barrier I
would expect to see is the bytes/text distinction, where a default
quoted string has different meaning in the two versions - but like
with performance guessing, this is much more likely to be wrong than
right.

Another, but much smaller, hole in the support would be installation
via pip. I'd recommend getting the package listed on PyPI and then
testing some pip installations on different platforms - chances are
that's going to be the best way to do the builds.

All the best!

ChrisA