Re: [Tutor] Mailbox

ltc.hotspot at gmail.com ltc.hotspot at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 15:00:52 EDT 2015

Hi Cameron,

New revision code:

count = 0
fn = raw_input("Enter file name: ")
if len(fn) < 1 : fname = "mbox-short.txt"
for line in fn:
  if 'From' in line.split()[0]: count += 1
print "There are %d lines starting with From" % count
print len(line)
fn = open(fname)
print "There were", count, "lines in the file with From as the first word"

Syntax message produced by iPython interperter:

NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
C:\Users\vm\Desktop\apps\docs\Python\assinment_8_5_v_2.py in <module>()
      6 print "There are %d lines starting with From" % count
      7 print len(line)
----> 8 fn = open(fname)
      9 print "There were", count, "lines in the file with From as the first wor
d"

NameError: name 'fname' is not defined

In [16]:

Question:

Why is fname = "mbox-short.txt" not loading the sample data?

Sample data file is located at  http://www.pythonlearn.com/code/mbox-short.txt

Regards,
Hal

Sent from Surface