Gmail eats Python

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 22:21:49 EDT 2015

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 6:15:56 AM UTC+5:30, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 29Jul2015 18:32, Laura Creighton  wrote:
> >These control characters are the very basic move characters in emacs.
> >People have always been free to remap them if they want them to do
> >something else, but waking up in the morning and discovering that you
> >cannot move to the front of your current line, to the end ot it, one line
> >up and one line down  because somebody has changed this ***for everybody***
> >would get me quite upset, too.
>
> Yeah, I'd be annoyed too. I'm a vi user, but use the emacs mode for shell
> command line editing as it is modeless. ^A, ^E, ^P and ^N are really quite
> critical.
>
> >Laura (happy emacs user since 1979)
>
> Cheers,
> Cameron Simpson (happy vi user since 1985)
>
> English is a living language, but simple illiteracy is no basis for
> linguistic evolution.   - Dwight MacDonald

That footer says it best:
Some stability is expected, also some change.
Finding a sweetspot midway is hard and very necessary

BTW I think python does a better job -- 2→3 transition than most other
long-lived projects.
Emacs is too much on the conservative side.
Haskell is too  much on the 'progress-is-heaven' side.