Python Questions - July 25, 2015

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 28 12:02:33 EDT 2015

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 08:44 pm, BartC wrote:

> No, I asked for how to install numpy, and was told to install Anaconda.
> I didn't know it was so big. It's like asking where to buy a pint of
> milk, and inadvertently buying the whole store! Which does, after all,
> come with the milk I wanted...

Bart, you can't blame us for your failure to do your own investigation
before clicking Download. Don't you read the instructions?

Anaconda installs a full-featured scientific Python stack, not just numpy.
The *very first paragraph* of the download page says:

"It includes over 195 of the most popular Python packages for science, math,
engineering, data analysis."

http://continuum.io/downloads

If the installer is 300MB or so, what were you expecting the full
installation to be? Further down on that same page, it describes Miniconda,
which is a bare-bones installation of Python + the conda package manager
only, so you can pick and choose which of those 195 packages are installed.

--
Steven