Python Questions - July 25, 2015

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Tue Jul 28 06:44:12 EDT 2015

On 28/07/2015 11:17, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 7:46 PM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On 28/07/2015 09:50, Terry Reedy wrote:
>>> I believe 'pip install numpy' works
>>

>> C:>pip install numpy
>>
>>   'pip' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>>   operable program or batch file.
>
> Then go and update your Python, because the newer versions
> automatically install pip. Or if you already have a recent Python and
> pip is installed, you may need to sort out your PATH, information on
> which is readily available on the internet.

Right you are. There is a pip.exe in the ./Scripts directory of Python 3.4.

I don't agree with the PATH set-up however; I try and avoid those and
generally don't need them; my simple IDE knows where to look for
binaries, and PATHs for different versions would clash. (The actual pip
command was tried in the same place as python.exe, not from the root
path as my example suggests. A search for pip.exe failed because that
was 3.1.)

>> (I'm still reeling from the size of that Anaconda download. Apparently it
>> contains a whole bunch of stuff, nothing to do with numpy, that I don't
>> need.

> That's what you asked for. You sought a ready-to-use distribution with
> heaps of stuff in it. Want one with less stuff? Look for something
> else. Want carte blanche? Pick up the pieces individually instead.
> This is how the internet works.

No, I asked for how to install numpy, and was told to install Anaconda.
I didn't know it was so big. It's like asking where to buy a pint of
milk, and inadvertently buying the whole store! Which does, after all,
come with the milk I wanted...

--
Bartc