Gmail eats Python

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 11:59:04 EDT 2015

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 9:17:16 PM UTC+5:30, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2015-07-26, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > JFTR: Ive been using emacs for 20+ years.  And I have the increasing
> > feeling that my students are getting fedup with it (and me).
>
> I don't understand.
>
> Why do your students even _know_ (let alone care!) what editor you
> use?
>
> I admit it was years ago, but after attending three universities and
> getting a BS in Computer Engineering and an MS in Computer Science and
> Electrical Engieneering, I hadn't the foggiest idea what editors any
> of the faculty used.  Nor would I have cared one way or the other if I
> had known.

Its 2015 now and any ½ decent teacher of programming, writes programs in front
of the class. And debugs and hacks and pokes around OS-related stuff (ps, top
and more arcane) etc.

[Yeah I did hear complaints about an OS teacher who puts up PPTs and reads them
out. So the set < ½-decent is not empty I guess]

So while emacs makes everything else look rather puerile, setting it up
is such a bitch that last python course I just switched to idle.
Must admit it was more pleasant than I expected.
Except that sometimes we need C and C++ and assembly and haskell and make and
config files and git commits and...
And so emacs (or eclipse!!) remains the only option