Gmail eats Python

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Jul 26 04:35:46 EDT 2015

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:

> Emacs 'tries to be everything' in exactly the same way that a 'general
> purpose programming language' is too general and by pretending to
> solve all problems actually solves none (until you hire a programmer).

Emacs isn't too general. It's just right.

> Problem with emacs (culture) is that its aficionados assume that a
> superb conceptual design trumps technological relevance,

It's relevant to me every day, for business and pleasure.

> [Did you notice that you used the locutions 'M-$', 'M-x'? What sense
> does this 80s terminology make to an emacs uninitiate in 2015?

They can be initiated in mere seconds to that esoteric knowledge.

> From seeing my 20-year-olf students suffer all this

What do your students suffer from? The beauty of the matter is that they
can use any editor they like. They don't have to like or use emacs.

(In some shops you actually virtually *have* to use Eclipse or Visual
Studio or the some such thing. That *is* painful.)

> combined with the hopelessness of convincing the emacs folks that we
> are in 2015, not 1980,

What do you need to convince emacs folks about? Emacs isn't perfect at
everything, but the emacs developers have kept it admirably up to date.
It has been following the quirks of Java, git and MS Exchange even if it
has been an uphill battle.

> I conclude this is a losing battle

What would you like to achieve, exactly?

Marko