Gmail eats Python

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 01:28:17 EDT 2015

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 10:31:20 AM UTC+5:30, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
> Marko Rauhamaa writes:
>
> > Jussi Piitulainen writes:
>
> >> Just in case anyone cares, Gnus shows me those indentations as octal
> >> codes, \302\240\302\240 (followed by one ASCII space). I guess a
> >> \302\240 is a NO-BREAK SPACE in UTF-8, and I guess Gnus does not know
> >> this because there is no charset specification in the headers. That
> >> seems to be missing whenever I see these codes instead of properly
> >> rendered characters and bother to check the headers.
>
> > The gnus command
> >
> >    C-u g
> >
> > displays the raw message.
>
> Thanks! I was just typing t to see what I thought were the full headers.
>
> > It demonstrates that the posting was sent as

> > The first part has:

> > The second part has:

> Yes, with C-u g, I see them.
>
> > The text/plain variant expresses the indentations with plain
> > whitespace (SPC) characters. However, the text/html variant has:

> >    =C2=A0=C2=A0 ... <br>
> >    =C2=A0=C2=A0 >>> print('Hi world')<br>
> >    =C2=A0=C2=A0 Hi world<br>
> >    =C2=A0=C2=A0 >>></p>
> >
> > =C2=A0 stands for '\u00a0' (NO-BREAK SPACE).
>
> I suppose that's a valid HTML fragment when the charset is declared, but
> the Gnus version I use fails to use the charset information when it
> renders the message. Annoying that it chooses text/html over text/plain
> and then fails. (Probably I can customize it now that I have a precise
> idea of what it is that is going wrong.)

Emacs belongs to the age when choice (and freedom, and democracy and brotherhood
and ...) are an unqualified good.
A 500-page gnus manual used to be the height of cuteness -- kittens, milk and all.
Not so post https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

> So many ways to fail :)
Combinatorially increases with choices... Mostly spurious ones.

JFTR: Ive been using emacs for 20+ years.  And I have the increasing feeling
that my students are getting fedup with it (and me).  Used Idle for my last python
course without too much grief.  If only it were an option for 25 programming languages, and org-mode and unicode/devanagari/tex input and.