Python Questions - July 25, 2015

tjohnson tandrewjohnson at outlook.com
Sat Jul 25 18:16:50 EDT 2015

On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 5:40:02 AM UTC-4, E.D.G. wrote:
> Posted by E.D.G. July 25, 2015
>
>        This posting involves general interest matters and some specific
> questions regarding Python code usage.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> 1. Program conversion effort
> 2. Specific code questions
>

> 1.  PROGRAM CONVERSION EFFORT
>
>        An effort is underway by several people including myself to convert a
> complex Perl language program to some other language such as Python so that,
> among other things, the program's numerous calculations will run faster.
>
>        Perl with the PDL module would probably work.  But we could not get
> the needed type of support for the PDL module.  We also looked at Julia and
> several versions of Basic.  But they also did not appear to presently have
> the type of support that is needed.
>
>        Fortran was tried.  It is great for calculation speed and the Fortran
> users were quite helpful.  But we could not get certain important questions
> answered regarding using Fortran to create Windows "Pipes" to other running
> programs etc.
>
>        We are presently checking to see if Python has the needed features
> and adequate support from Python newsgroups or forums.
>
>        At the moment our Perl programs use Windows "Pipes" plus files in an
> interactive mode to send data to Gnuplot so that the data can be plotted.
> That actually produces good results.  But it is a complex and inefficient
> process.  So part of the conversion process involves learning how to have
> Python or some other program plot data in the same interactive mode.
>
>        In this case "interactive" means that when a chart is being displayed
> on the computer screen for example, a key such as a Right Arrow Key can be
> pressed.  My main Perl program checks for key presses perhaps 10 times a
> second and if it detects one it sends the appropriate information to Gnuplot
> through a "Pipe" so that Gnuplot will open some data file and use its
> contents to draw a new chart.  That redrawing process on a moderately fast
> computer occurs so rapidly the transition cannot even be seen.
>
>        The Perl program does not simply wait for a key to be pressed because
> it is at times processing data in the background.
>
>        It has been my experience that sending large amounts of data from one
> program to another using a Windows pipe doesn't work very well.  So files
> are presently being used for bulk data transfers.
>

> 2.  SPECIFIC CODE QUESTIONS
>
>        It will likely take some time to get all of these questions
> completely answered, especially the ones involving graphics.
>

> 1. The initial version of Python being used has to be a free download that
> is easy to understand.  And it has to be compatible with Windows.
>
>        Where can the best free download version of Python be obtained?
>
>        Is the ActiveState version the best one for people who are not Python
> experts?
>
>        I always found it quite easy to install ActiveState versions of Perl.
>

> 2.  Graphics - This is likely a fairly complicated question.

> [...]

It looks like Laura has answered most of your questions pretty well. I'm sorry that I forgot about your questions until now. I was busy because the hard drive on my primary PC failed last night.

The only thing I can think of right now to add is that regarding #8, you can also use the PyWin32 module on Windows for clipboard access. If your code needs to be cross-platform, this isn't an option, but if not, you might find it to be very useful. It might also have capabilities for #3 and #7, but I don't have it installed anymore, so I'm not sure.