Gmail eats Python

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Jul 25 15:42:12 EDT 2015

Jussi Piitulainen <jpiitula at ling.helsinki.fi>:

>>    >>> def test(): pass
>>    >>> print('Hi world')
>>    Hi world
>>    >>>
>
> Just in case anyone cares, Gnus shows me those indentations as octal
> codes, \302\240\302\240 (followed by one ASCII space). I guess a
> \302\240 is a NO-BREAK SPACE in UTF-8, and I guess Gnus does not know
> this because there is no charset specification in the headers. That
> seems to be missing whenever I see these codes instead of properly
> rendered characters and bother to check the headers.
>
> Has the world adopted UTF-8 as the default charset now or what? (I'll
> be only glad to hear that it has, if it has, but a reference to some
> sort of internet standard would be nice.)

The gnus command

   C-u g

displays the raw message.

It demonstrates that the posting was sent as

The first part has:

The second part has:

The text/plain variant expresses the indentations with plain whitespace
(SPC) characters. However, the text/html variant has:

   =C2=A0=C2=A0 ... <br>
   =C2=A0=C2=A0 >>> print('Hi world')<br>
   =C2=A0=C2=A0 Hi world<br>
   =C2=A0=C2=A0 >>></p>

=C2=A0 stands for '\u00a0' (NO-BREAK SPACE).

When I have Gnus display the HTML variant, the indentation is not
displayed at all. I don't know why.

(It's another question what place text/html has on this forum in the
first place.)

Marko