problem with selecting remote procedure calls

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 23 14:57:00 EDT 2015

On 23-7-2015 13:39, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 23/07/2015 04:10, eric johansson wrote:
>> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1M-TzfRaSaAhFXQk1OmcmHNOaW31_7W_7q0bf8CAJqSw/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>  while this is related to my speech recognition through the next
>> project, is actually a good question for RPCs in general.
>> Specifically, are there any good-RPCs out there that are fast,
>> supported, and easy to use?
>
> It looks like a decent fit for Pyro:
>
>   https://github.com/irmen/Pyro4
>   http://pythonhosted.org/Pyro4/
>   https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pyro4
>
> Pyro's certainly actively maintained and I've seen its developer, Irmen
> de Jong, pop up on this list fairly recently.

Hi!

> Exactly how good a fit it is would depend on your precise setup. But I
> think it's worth exploring. I can't speak as to its speed -- I've only
> used it where speed wasn't really an issue.

Performance depends on many factors. I used to have a table with numbers in the manual
but since replaced it by a more general indication;
http://pythonhosted.org/Pyro4/intro.html#performance

Eric, if you're concerned about performance, Pyro4 (the source distribution) comes with
several examples that do simple performance related tests. You could run these and see
what figures you get on your setup to see if it's anywhere acceptable, before even
building anything with Pyro yourself.

Interesting project btw.
Good luck!

Irmen