global and loop control variable

candide c.candide at laposte.net
Thu Jul 23 06:24:13 EDT 2015

About global declarations, Python Language Ref (PLR) explains:

[https://docs.python.org/3.4/reference/simple_stmts.html#the-global-statement]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Names listed in a global statement must not be used
in the same code block textually preceding that global statement.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I understand is that the following code is incorrect:

# ---------------------------------------
def f():
    x=42
    global x

f()
print(x)
# ---------------------------------------

And indeed, executing this piece of code "raises" a warning :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
test.py:3: SyntaxWarning: name 'x' is assigned to before global declaration
  global x
42
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, global declaration has another restriction, as PLR explains:

[https://docs.python.org/3.4/reference/simple_stmts.html#the-global-statement]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Names listed in a global statement must not be defined as formal parameters
or in a for loop control target,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I understand is that the following is a must-not-code:

# ---------------------------------------
def f():
    global i
    for i in range(1,3):
        print(10*i)

f()
print(i)

But, the later code executes silently without any warning:

10
20
2