OT Re: Math-embarrassment results in CS [was: Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?]

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 05:12:11 EDT 2015

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 12:28:19 PM UTC+5:30, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> Rustom Mody wrote:
> > Ive known good ones) most practicing-mathematicians proceed on the assumption
> > that they *discover* math and not that they *invent* it.
>
> For something purely abstract like mathematics, I don't
> see how there's any distinction between "discovering" and
> "inventing". They're two words for the same thing.
>
> I don't know what kind of -ist that makes me...

Ummm... Clever!
You give few clues... except for 'purely abstract'.
Does that mean entirely in your consciousness?
Or does it mean completely independent of the (physical) world and even time.
Latter is more or less definition of platonist
Former is some kind of combo of intuitionist and formalist (I guess!).

JFTR: I believe that post-Cantor 'platonism' is an abuse of Plato's original
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave