OT Re: Math-embarrassment results in CS [was: Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?]

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Jul 23 01:41:28 EDT 2015

On Thursday 23 July 2015 04:09, Rustom Mody wrote:

> tl;dr To me (as unprofessional a musician as mathematician) I find it
> arbitrary that Newton *discovered* gravity whereas Beethoven *composed*
> the 9th symphony.

Newton didn't precisely *discover* gravity. I'm pretty sure that people
before him didn't think that they were floating through the air
weightless...

*wink*

Did gravity exist before Newton? Then he discovered it (in some sense).

Did the 9th Symphony exist before Beethoven? No? Then he composed it.

--
Steve