Is there a way to install ALL Python packages?

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 00:31:53 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:58 PM, ryguy7272 <ryanshuell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 10:57:47 PM UTC-4, ryguy7272 wrote:
> > I'd like to install ALL Python packages on my machine.  Even if it takes
> up 4-5GB, or more, I'd like to get everything, and then use it when I need
> it.  Now, I'd like to import packages, like numpy and pandas, but nothing
> will install.  I figure, if I can just install everything, I can simply use
> it when I need it, and if I don't need it, then I just won't use it.
> >
> > I know R offers this as an option.  I figure Python must allow it too.
> >
> > Any idea  how to grab everything?
> >
> > Thanks all.
>

> Thanks for the tip.  I just downloaded and installed Anaconda.  I just
> successfully ran my first Python script.  So, so happy now.  Thanks again!!

​Anaconda (or the freely-available miniconda) is what I was going to
suggest.  If you are coming from R, then you likely want the scientific
computing stack (scipy, numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, pytables, statsmodels,
matplotlib, ... the list goes on).  And for that (which links extensively
to C and even Fortran libraries), conda blows pip out of the water.​  There
are other solutions (like Enthought's Canopy distribution, for example),
but conda is so nice that I really have little incentive to try others.

All the best,
Jason