password authentication failed

Gary Roach gary719_list1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 22 19:35:58 EDT 2015

On 07/16/2015 04:53 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> On 07/15/2015 11:25 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>>> You should then be able to create a regular user, and grant
>>> appropriate permissions:
>>>
>>> postgres=# create user archives password
>>> 'traded-links-linguistics-informal';
>>> CREATE ROLE
>>> postgres=# grant all on database archivedb to archives;
>>> GRANT
>> I really appreciate the help Chris. I created a user archive with password
>> 'xxxxxx' and changed the settings.py file accordingly. When I tried  python
>> manage.py migrate I got the following error with it's traceback:
>>
>> (archivedb)root at supercrunch:~/archivedb# python manage.py migrate
>> [chomp]
>> django.db.utils.ProgrammingError: permission denied for relation
>> django_migrations
> This suggests that your new user doesn't have permissions set yet. Did
> you do the grant command as listed above? If so, you may have to also
> do this:
>
> $ sudo sudo -u postgres psql archivedb
> postgres=# grant all on all tables in schema X to archives;
I did the above.
> Replace X with the name of the database schema you use - possibly
> "public" or some other user name. You can list multiple schema names,
> separated by commas, if you need to.
>
> To list all schemas in the database:
>
> select distinct table_schema from information_schema.tables;
I did all of the above. Since I only plan on one datebase - excluding
the system db's - I'm dumping everything into the public schema.
> Hope that helps!
>
> ChrisA
I'm still getting the same migration error.

At this point, I'm confused about a few things. Does the postgresql
server and my archivedb reside globally or are they inside my archivedb
virtual environment. I think globally.

To get pgAdmin3 to work, I  have to have it set so that it logs in as
gary ( no choice with this) and set group to root. Then in application >
advanced options set run as different user to root. This assumes that
you are using a KDE4 desktop and have these option by right clicking the
icons.

pgAdmin3 data:
     Server Group > Server(1) > archivedb
                                                     |_ Host name -
127.0.0.1
                                                     |_ username - archive
                                                     |_ connected - no
Archivedb requires a password to go deeper and takes the xxxxxx password
that is in the django settings.py file. This opens up access to
archivedb and lists archivedb > Schema(1) > public > tables(10). At this
point I found that all  of the sequences and all of the tables are owned
by root. This is probably the root (no pun intended) cause. Now what do
I do about it. I'm not sure how this came about so don't know how to fix it.

In the OS I have a postgres user in the passwd file and in the group
file have the following:
     gary:x:1000:root,backuppc,sudo,postgres,users
     root:x:0:backuppc,gary,staff,postgres,users
     postgres:x:117:root,gary

Normally, I don't have to worry too much about security because my two
user network resides behind a verizon router firewall. I don't have much
in the way of sensitive data either. This project may be different. So
maybe I need to tighten things up a bit.

Thanks for your help

Gary R