Integers with leading zeroes

sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 14:41:30 EDT 2015

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 11:38:53 AM UTC-7, sohca... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 11:07:43 AM UTC-7, Emile van Sebille wrote:
> > On 7/21/2015 10:58 AM, sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > IMO, leading zeroes just looks like visual noise, and if I wanted to align numbers, I'd just use spaces.
> > >

> > Aligning numbers using spaces doesn't always align -- using zeros does.
> >
> > Emile
>
> You've got me confused.  They should align just fine if you're using a fixed-width font.
>
> If you're not using a fixed-width font in your programming, then I don't know what to say to you.

I should probably state that I may use leading zeroes when using hexadecimal numbers.  For example, I might write 0x000ABCDE, rather than 0xABCDE, but that's only if I'm using a lot of 32-bit values.  If I only care about a single byte, I will use 0x01, for example.

But for base-10, I would never use leading zeroes.