Proposed keyword to transfer control to another function

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 13:38:06 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 3:33 AM, Antoon Pardon
<antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Gregory Ewing
>> <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>>> Personally I'd be fine with your initial syntax, but
>>> something else might be needed to get it past Guido.
>>> He didn't like my 'cocall f()' construct in PEP 3152,
>>> which is syntactically isomorphic to 'transfer f()'.
>>
>> Maybe it should get written up and rejected, then, to be something to
>> point to any time anyone advocates TCO.
>
> Those who remember the history of pep 308 will not find
> that a strong deterrent.

It doesn't have to be a deterrent. It just has to say "Here's all the
arguments we came up with in 2015, so find answers to those if you
want to reopen the debate". It's effectively a way of rapidly
onboarding the conclusions from a lengthy discussion, much more easily
than pointing someone to the archive and expecting him/her to read
through it all.

ChrisA