Devanagari int literals [was Re: Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?]

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Jul 21 04:10:26 EDT 2015

In a message of Mon, 20 Jul 2015 20:30:48 -0700, Rustom Mody writes:

>BTW my boys have just mailed me their latest:

>9.99
>
>Can some unicode/Chinese literate person inform me whether
>that ideograph is equivalent to roman '9' or roman 'nine'?

Ah, I don't understand you.  What do you mean roman 'nine'?  a
phonetic way of saying things?  What bankers use to help prevent
forgeries? Something else?

九 is a numberal.  The numberal 9.  For absolutely certain.  But since
I don't know what you mean by 'nine' it may mean that, as well.  九 is
not restricted to any particular dialect of Chinese -- if you speak
any chinese you will know what this means.  On the other hand the
pinyan (phonetic) way to pronounce numbers can vary between dialects.

Chinese has *many* ways of writing numbers, at least 4 I know about.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_numerals

Laura