Devanagari int literals [was Re: Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 23:43:35 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 1:30 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW my boys have just mailed me their latest:

> 9.99
>
> Can some unicode/Chinese literate person inform me whether
> that ideograph is equivalent to roman '9' or roman 'nine'?

I'm not Chinese-literate, but I know how to dig up info from the
Unicode side of things.

'\u4e5d' CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPH-4E5D

Thanks, very helpful.

Perhaps slightly more useful:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E4%B9%9D

But it still doesn't disambiguate digit vs word.

Playing around with Google Translate suggests that it functions mostly
like a digit; 九九 means "Ninety-nine" and 九八 means "Ninety-eight". But
I'll leave further confirmation to someone who fits your second
description.

ChrisA