Generating type annotations by tracing execution runs

Michael Williamson mike at zwobble.org
Mon Jul 20 05:59:28 EDT 2015

Hello,

I've knocked together a quick proof-of-concept that allows type
annotations to be automatically added to Python source code by running
it:

    https://github.com/mwilliamson/farthing

As the code, such as a test suite, runs, the types of arguments and
return values (for functions in the file/directory to be annotated) are
stored. After the code has finished, appropriate annotations are added.
(There's a tiny example in the README.rst in case that makes things a
little clearer.)

At the moment, this is just a small prototype that I've cobbled
together. I was curious if anybody knows if anybody else has done
anything similar?

Thanks

Michael