Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 03:13:09 EDT 2015

I think you're missing the line where I said all the relevant
conversation happened in IRC, and that you should refer to logs.

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 7/19/2015 9:20 PM, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
>
>> Search your logs for https://bugs.python.org/issue17094
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue5315
>>
>> I was most frustrated by the first case --
>
>> the patch was (informally) rejected
>
> By 'the patch', I presume you mean current-frames-cleanup.patch
> by Stefan Ring, who said it "is certainly not the most complete solution,
> but it solves my problem.". It was reviewed a month later by a core dev, who
> said it had two defects.  Do you expect us to apply defective patches?

No, I meant my patch. It was discussed in IRC, and I gave the search
term to grep for. (The issue URL.)

>> in favor of the "right" fix,
>

> "right" is your word. Natali simply uploaded an alternate patch that did not
> have the defects cited.  It went through 4 versions, two by Pitrou, before
> the commit and close 2 months later, with the comment "Hopefully there
> aren't any applications relying on the previous behaviour."

No, "right" is the word used by members of #python-dev, referrig to
Antoine's fix.

> Two years later, last May, you proposed and uploaded a patch with what looks
> to be a new and different approach.  It has been ignored.  In the absence of
> a core dev focused on 2.7, I expect that this will continue. Too bad you did
> not upload it in Feb 2013, before the review and fix started.

I'm not sure what you're implying here. It couldn't be helped.

>> and http://bugs.python.org/issue5315
>
> Another fairly obscure issue for most of us. Five years ago, this was turned
> into a doc issue, but no patch was ever submitted for either 2.x or 3.x.
> Again, no particular prejudice against 2.x.
>
> In May, you posted a bugfix which so far has been ignored.  Not too
> surprising.  I submitted a ping and updated the versions.  If anyone
> responds, you might be asked for a patch against 3.4 or 3.5.

Again, the prejudice was expressed in IRC. It was ignored because you
can just use asyncio in 3.x, and because the bug was old.

-- Devin