Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 19 22:49:10 EDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:51 am, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> You are now suggesting that people shouldn't even bother reading the
> develoment guide, just great.  Do they have to do anything themselves to
> get patches through?  Presumably the core devs give up their paid work,
> holidays, families, other hobbies and the like, just so some bunch of
> lazy, bone idle gits can get what they want, for nothing, when it suits
> them?

Just a reminder that at least some of the core devs, including Guido, are
paid to work on Python.

And another reminder that open source software doesn't have any restrictions
about only distributing software to those who are willing and able to write
patches for it. Anyone can use Python, including children and
non-programmers. Being able to hack on the interpreter C code and produce
quality patches is not a pre-requisite.

I know that I've reported bugs in Python that I was unqualified or incapable
of fixing, at least without going through months or years of learning. At
least one of those bugs has been fixed by others who have the skills.

--
Steven