Devanagari int literals [was Re: Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jul 19 19:13:07 EDT 2015

On 7/19/2015 3:32 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Unix bc:
> $ bc
> bc 1.06.95
> Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> For details type `warranty'.
> 4+5
> 9
> obase=8
> 4+5
> 11
>
> IOW bc has two (global) variables ibase and obase for input and output base.
> If you dont provide these as settable you hardwire them at 10 (8/16 in some
> assembly languages)¹
>
> Hopefully you will agree that python is more full-featured than bc and should
> subsume bc functionality?

Nice try ;-) However, I think is not especially relevant.  I do not
believe that Guido would agree that bc should govern python design. Do
*you* really think that?  Python is fundamentally a general purpose
batch-mode language.  Interactive mode is secondary and generally
subservient to writing real programs.  I know that he has said that he
is not inclined to add additional interactive-mode-only features to Python.

--
Terry Jan Reedy