Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Sun Jul 19 14:14:30 EDT 2015

In a message of Sun, 19 Jul 2015 09:29:11 -0600, Ian Kelly writes:
>I think this is an unrealistic and unattainable goal. Even if you stop
>patching your Python 2.7 version altogether, what about the
>environment that it runs in? Are you going to stop patching the OS
>forever? Are you going to fix the current machine architecture exactly
>as it is, forever? I don't know if industrial code uses a network much
>or at all, but if it does, are you never going to upgrade your network
>infrastructure?

There is clearly some wishful thinking going around here, but
in terms of having the same machine architecture forever ... well, my
friend the hardware guy can make you a board that you can plug your
old perfectly working, reliable 1970s tech machines into -- because they
really want to be plugged into a pdp-11 running RSX-11.  Then we fake
things using Python to simulate enough RSX-11 to keep on running.

We figure the machines will still be running long after we are dead.

Laura