Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 12:56:50 EDT 2015

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 12:54:34 AM UTC-5, dieter wrote:
> From my point of view: if you want help with fixing bugs,
> you must ensure that there is a high probability that
> those contributions really find their way into the main
> development lines. As I understand from other messages in
> this thread, this is also a problem with Python bug
> fixing.

(Not sure who said this, so my apologies if the attribution
is incorrect)

Bug fixing is not something most programmers find enjoyable,
at least not for long durations. I prefer to spend my time
solving real world problems, and designing intuitive APIs,
this is what brings me joy.

Heck, there have been many times that i purposefully re-
invented the wheel simply because solving the problem is
much easier (and more enjoyable) than trying to understand
another programmer's atrocious spaghetti code. Therefor, we
should not be surprised that the bug list is so understaffed
and lacks vigor.

What is becoming apparent to me though, is that most of the
complaints i had voiced (years ago) about the exclusive
attitudes, horrible interface, and the burdensome workflow
of submitting patches is contributing to the lack of
interest in this process -> and it seems i am not alone!

I can remember twice getting excited about helping out, to
only quickly become frustrated with the politics and
interface. Why should i have to fight just to volunteer?
What's the point? The whole system is self defeating.

Time for some introspection folks.