Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 11:29:11 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 3:27 AM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> In this corner of the world, the favourite language for developing in
> is C (because we work close to hardware) and one of the things we like
> about it, a whole lot, is that the language never changes out from
> under you.  So there is great hope among industrial users of Python
> that we can get a hold of a 'never going to change any more' version
> of Python, and then code in that 'forever' knowing that a code change
> isn't going to come along and break all our stuff.

I think this is an unrealistic and unattainable goal. Even if you stop
patching your Python 2.7 version altogether, what about the
environment that it runs in? Are you going to stop patching the OS
forever? Are you going to fix the current machine architecture exactly
as it is, forever? I don't know if industrial code uses a network much
or at all, but if it does, are you never going to upgrade your network
infrastructure?

At some point in the future, maybe far in the future, but eventually,
assumptions made in the Python 2.7 code will no longer hold true, and
at that point Python 2.7 will break.