Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 09:42:32 EDT 2015

On 19/07/2015 03:13, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 7/18/2015 7:50 PM, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
>> to 2.7, surely bug fixes are also allowed?
>
> Of course, allowed.  But should they be made, and if so, by who?

The people who want the fixes.

>> I have contributed both performance improvements and bug fixes to 2.7.
>> In my experience, the problem is not the lack of contributors, it's
>> the lack of code reviewers.
>
> I understand the general problem quite well.  But feeling that one would
> have to do a 2.7 backport after writing, editing, or reviewing a 3.x
> patch can discourage doing a review in the first place. I am at that
> point now with respect to Idle patches.

Do the work with the 3.x patch and finish.  Let somebody who needs the
patch for 2.7 do the work.  If nobody steps up to the mark that's not
Terry Reedy's problem, you've done way more than your fair share over
the years.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence