Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 18 20:27:23 EDT 2015

On 19/07/2015 00:36, Terry Reedy wrote:
> I asked the following as an off-topic aside in a reply on another
> thread. I got one response which presented a point I had not considered.
>   I would like more viewpoints from 2.7 users.
>
> Background: each x.y.0 release normally gets up to 2 years of bugfixes,
> until x.(y+1).0 is released.  For 2.7, released summer 2010, the bugfix
> period was initially extended to 5 years, ending about now.  At the
> spring pycon last year, the period was extended to 10 years, with an
> emphasis on security and build fixed.  My general question is what other
> fixes should be made?  Some specific forms of this question are the
> following.
>
> If the vast majority of Python programmers are focused on 2.7, why are
> volunteers to help fix 2.7 bugs so scarce?
>
> Does they all consider it perfect (or sufficient) as is?
>
> Should the core developers who do not personally use 2.7 stop
> backporting, because no one cares if they do?

Programmers don't much like doing maintainance work when they're paid to
do it, so why would they volunteer to do it? Then even if you do the
work to fix *ANY* bug there is no guarantee that it gets committed. The
last "Summary of Python tracker Issues" over on python-dev giving 4947
open issues of which 2260 have patches speaks for itself.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence