tkinter resize question

Russell Owen rowen at uw.edu
Fri Jul 17 15:52:33 EDT 2015

On 7/17/15 12:17 PM, nickgeovanis at gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 1:53:19 PM UTC-5, nickge... at gmail.com wrote:
>> Resizing a tkinter window which contains a frame which contains a button widget, will not change the current size of the window, frame or button as recorded in their height and width attributes (at least not if they are resizable). What is the correct way to detect their current size?
>
> Ok, partially answering my own question:
> The geometry of the window will change (win.geometry()), but the changes do not appear to "propagate" to the retrieved width/height of the child widgets, frames, etc. Or am I incorrect with this?

I'm not seeing it. If I try the following script I see that resizing the
widget does update frame.winfo_width() and winfo_height. (I also see
that the requested width and height are ignored; you can omit those).

-- Russell

#!/usr/bin/env python
import Tkinter
root = Tkinter.Tk()

frame = Tkinter.Frame(root, width=100, height=50)
frame.pack(expand=True, fill="both")
def doReport(*args):
     print "frame actual    width=%s, height=%s" % (frame.winfo_width(),
frame.winfo_height())
     print "frame requested width=%s, height=%s" %
(frame.winfo_reqwidth(), frame.winfo_reqheight())
button = Tkinter.Button(frame, text="Report", command=doReport)
button.pack()

root.mainloop()