Need assistance

Rob Gaddi rgaddi at technologyhighland.invalid
Fri Jul 17 12:40:27 EDT 2015

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 19:15:38 -0700, craig.sirna wrote:

> I need help writing a homework program.
>
> I'll write it, but I can't figure out how to incorporate what I have
> read in the book to work in code.
>
> The assignment wants us to take a users first, middle and last name in a
> single input ( name=('enter your full name: )).
>
> Then we must display the full name rearranged in Last, First Middle
> order.
>
> I tried to use the search function in Python to locate any spaces in the
> input. It spot back the index 5 (I used Craig Daniel Sirna)
>
> That is correct for the first space, but I can't figure out how to get
> it to continue to the next space.
>
> The indexing process is also a bit confusingto me.
>
> I get that I can use len(fullName) to set the length of the index, and
> how the index is counted, but after that I'm lost.
>
> I have emailed my professor a few times, but haven't gotten a
> response.(online course)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Use the interactive console.  Set x = 'Craig Daniel Sirna' and play
with indexing and slicing it until you really internalize what they
mean.  x[3], x[-3], x[0:10], x[0:-1].  It's not actually relevant to the
problem at hand, but right now is the time in your education to get
indexing down cold; skimp on it now and you'll pay for it forever.
Should take you about 5 minutes.

2) https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#string-methods
You can do what you're trying to do, but you're swinging a hammer with a
powered nailgun at your feet.  Search is an inefficient way to try to
split a string into parts based on a delimiter.